You know when you wake up and the day just feels, well, a bit shitty? And things just go downhill from there? I've had a couple of those lately, where you get to school and your 5 year old literally begs you not to leave them, then start your commute (in tears) and hit traffic within minutes, get to work and everyone is acting bat shit crazy??? Yeah, you know the one right??
They maybe different circumstances but we all have them, do you give in and write the day off as a bad job, ending by drowning in gin before bed or do you try and turn your day around? In the past I used to give in, wave my white flag to the shiteness and the day generally would get worse.
(Coaster from Happy Paper Club)
Just lately though, I've been trying to force a bad day around, and you know what? It blooming works!! As soon as I realised I may not be able to control everything that happens but I can control my reaction to it, things changed. I also realised that there are things I can do to change the flow of the day, I've created a little page in my planner to record these, so next time I have a mare of a morning, I can start working my way through my 'happy list' and start to cross those positive little blighters off and change my day.
Here's my current list.
1. Listen to a favourite song, yep we've all got an uplifting one haven't we? I've now created a happy playlist which I bang on the car stereo or listen to on my headphones at work, some of my happy songs are:
- One more time - Daft Punk
- Boogie 2nite - Booty Luv
- Sunshine - Tieks
(I'll be sharing the full current playlist with you soon!!)
2. Smells, how often have you caught a whiff of something and been transported back to a memory? I know I have, my happy smell is lime and mint, probably because it invokes memories of Cuba and mojitos, but whatever the reason, I can't help but cheer up if I smell that lime and mint.
3. Write down 3 things that make you happy, yeah, I know, this sounds cheesy as, but try it, go on, try it now. Did you smile at least once whilst writing that little list? Of course you did! Those memories make you happy, so reminding yourself of them
So mine (which I've just written for this!) are:
- Cuddling up with my boys to watch a movie
- Sunshine on my face
- Laughing with friends
4. Look at something that makes you smile, for me it's usually puppies! I know, this is really cheesy too, but I have to admit it works, seeing those cute little pups does bring a massive smile to my miserable face.
5. Make a plan, plan something awesome to do, it doesn't have to be immediate but pencil it in your diary, tell your other half and start to make plans, planning a good time always works for me. Last time I was in a funk, I arranged our next camping trip, right from the location to trips to the food we'll have. Having a little trip to look forward to always cheers me up and puts me in a good mood.
6. Smile, this is such a simple one, being friendly and giving a stranger a smile is generally reciprocated and really does give you a little boost.
7. Eat or drink something you love, a good old hot, sweet, tea does it for me but, it's even better if I treat myself from the trendy little hipster cafe beneath my office 😉
8. Laugh, listen to a podcast, watch a video or read something funny, I search for 'funny videos' in Facebook and after watching a few ridiculous, cute or crazy videos I'm smiling!
9. Treat yourself, be it a magazine, new make-up or anything that makes you feel good. I usually go for some yummy smellies or a new book.
10. Look at Instagram or Facebook accounts that are super inspirational, my favourite is:
11. Exercise, yep as much as I hate to admit it, exercising does make you feel better and a little bit smug if we're honest doesn't it? I love thrashing the punchbag for a good workout when I'm feeling the blue funk.
What would be on your happy list? How do you turn your day around, or are you always positive and happy so you're not affected by frustrating situations? I'd love to hear your point of view Lx