Ingredients (makes 8)
1 pack ready rolled puff pastry (you will only need 1/3)
1 egg, beaten to glaze
For the filling
130g fresh breadcrumbs
110g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 onion, grated
3-5 tbsp double cream
1/2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Pre-heat oven to 220oC
1. Lay the pastry landscape in front of you (with the long edge facing you) cut the pastry into 3 pieces, you will only need 2 of these for this recipe *.
2. Mix all ingredients except egg together, the amount of cream you need will depend on the type of breadcrumbs you use as some bread soaks up more than others, start with 3 tbsp and add more as you need it, you shouldn't need more than 5. You will need to get your hands in to mix this up and make it into a sausagemeat consistency.
3. Roll the filling into sausages the same length as the pastry.
4. Place one roll of filling onto one strip on pastry and brush egg along on side, roll the pastry to create a seal.
5. Making sure the seal is at the bottom, cut each length into 4 and brush with beaten egg.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 mins.
* we added some cocktail sausages to our leftover piece to make some sausage rolls for the freezer.
You could also use this filling mix for our Sausage plait recipe.